In this episode I invite Jenny Stofka to speak about Consecrated Life in Miles Christi. She shares her experience in college, and how she felt called to consecrate her life to Jesus Christ through the vows of Poverty, Chastity and Obedience.
I also welcome Kristina, who recently graduated from Florida International University and is now a nurse in Tampa, Florida. She asks some interesting questions about discernment and Religious Life—questions I’m sure you’ll be interested in knowing the answer to.
I share how the Catechism says, in #944 that Consecrated Life "is characterized by the public profession of the evangelical counsels of Poverty, Chastity, and Obedience, in a stable state of life recognized by the Church". So, while through BAPTISM all the Christian faithful are called to holiness and—in a sense—consecrated to Jesus Christ, through the Religious Vows, we add a special commitment, a PUBLIC commitment to seek out the perfection of those promises made in Baptism. Those who consecrate their lives commit to live out the “Evangelical Counsels” of Christ in their life, becoming a WITNESS to the Gospel in the world.
The Church says that Religious and Consecrated Life is "a stable form of living by which the faithful, following Christ more closely (…), are totally dedicated to God who is loved most of all, so that, having been dedicated [themselves] by a new and special title to his honor, to the building up of the Church, and to the salvation of the world, they strive for the perfection of charity [that is, holiness]." Code of Canon Law, #573
- - - - - - - - -
- Fr. Patrick Wainwright is a priest of Miles Christi, a Catholic Religious Order.
- To ask me or Jenny any question about the Consecrated Women in Miles Christi, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Miles Christi Religious Order website: https://www.mileschristi.org
- This Podcast’s Website: https://www.forcollegecatholics.org
- To learn about the Spiritual Exercises (silent weekend retreat), visit: https://www.mileschristi.org/spiritual-exercises/
- Recorded at our Family Center in South Lyon, Michigan.
- Intro music from pond5.com